If you have any questions or would like more information, our friendly team will be happy to help.
HEALTH & SAFETY
Purpose and scope:
This policy statement sets out our commitment to achieving the highest health and safety standards across our service operations. It applies to all employees, in all our operating areas.
We are committed to delivering a first-class service to our customers in a manner which safeguards the health and safety of our employees, contractors, client staff and members of the public.
Our approach to Health and Safety aligns with our 6 core values.
Everything we do in relation to health and safety is in line with the fundamental beliefs inherent in our vision and values. Our health and safety goals are centred on continually improving our services and striving to exceed the expectations of our customers. So how will we achieve these goals? By following the processes set out in our business management systems which capture our legal and other regulatory requirements.
Alan Levine (Managing Director) is responsible for ensuring that this policy is reviewed annually and implemented correctly. Berry's senior management is responsible for ensuring that we have the organisation and resources in place to help us reach our goals of reducing our health and safety risks so far as reasonably practicable.
The way in which we will deliver on our commitment to health and safety is described in our Berry Cleaning management systems as outlined in our Berry Management systems & structure manual.
Identify applicable laws and regulations:
We identify all applicable laws and regulations, and other requirements and ensure that appropriate controls are in place to achieve compliance.
Identify and manage health and safety risk:
Our health and safety risk management processes identify what we need to do in order to reduce the impacts of our activities on our people, and those who may be affected by our activities. By communicating these risks in a timely manner, to our people, customers and the communities where we work, we aim to ensure that everybody is aware of and supports our purpose;
Promote continual improvement:
Setting objectives and targets will drive continual improvement in our services, thereby helping us reduce the risk of work related injury or ill health;
Drive appropriate behaviours:
We do this by engaging with our people. We give them the skills and competencies they need to prevent work related injury and ill health, to work safely and to consider the safety of colleagues and others who may be affected by their work;
Develop an effective culture:
We foster a culture of open communication, where our people feel able to raise concerns on any H&S matters. Our managers and supervisors will treat the concerns of our people seriously and respond accordingly;
Engage with our clients:
By partnering with suppliers, customers and contractors, we can develop and deliver a high standard of service in relation to H&S performance;
Report and investigate near misses and incidents:
Where near misses and incidents do occur, it is absolutely imperative that we learn the lessons necessary to prevent them happening again and that we share these across our operations;
Developing the skills of our people:
We recognise that the competence and skills of our people need continual development through training and empowerment, allowing them to fulfil their roles and help us meet our objectives.
Berry Support Solutions MD, Thomas Alan Phillips is responsible for:
- Reviewing, endorsing and achieving this policy’s aims.
Area Managers are Supervisors are responsible for:
- Developing and rolling out the supporting strategies to drive continual performance improvement
- Ensuring that this policy and supporting strategies and procedures are distributed, implemented and complied with;
- Ensuring that their teams operate to the requirements set out in the Berry Management systems & structure manual.; and
- Leading by example in protecting the Berry brand and championing knowledge sharing across the service areas.
Managers are responsible for:
- Implementing and enforcing the processes and procedures;
- Ensuring that their people are aware of their responsibilities and receive appropriate training; and
- Addressing any inappropriate behaviour.
Employees are responsible for:
- Carrying out their work in line with this policy and associated procedures;
- Challenging any behaviour that falls short of the expectations of this policy; and
- Identifying any breaches of this policy and reporting them to their line manager.
What will successful implementation of this policy achieve?
- Reduced number of work related accidents and ill health;
- Evidence of greater engagement with our employees in respect of health and safety management;
- Recognition by external bodies in the form of awards, nominations and certifications; and
- Improved bench-marking results when examining our performance against our peers / when audited by independent bodies.
Thomas Alan Phillips
Berry Support Solutions Limited | 03 January 2019